Shannon the Bee vs. the Caladium Festival

Hello again, everyone! Wow, July seemed to just fly by, right? No? Well, it did for me seeing how coaching/swim season has started and I’m starting to find myself back on “normal” people’s schedule (meaning I get up before 10 o’clock now). It’s getting to the point where I’m realizing more and more how close the beginning of school really is and how my schedule is going to be not as flexible anymore – and I’m trying not to fret over that aspect too much! Truth is, I’m pretty excited about the new school year because my Art 1 curriculum has basically been done since last school year and I’ll just be adding some polishing touches to it (more group activities) and, hopefully, a field trip to the Chihuly Collection in St. Pete! And while my Art 2 is in need of some revising and I don’t have my Art 3 curriculum anywhere close to done, I know where I want to take the classes and I’m not afraid of testing out new activities. If it works, great! How can we make it better? And if it doesn’t, there’s always tomorrow to correct and refocus.

So, today’s post is going to be short and geared towards letting you folks know about my next gig: the Caladium Festival.
For those who have never been or are from out of town, the Caladium Festival is one of my hometowns biggest events where people from all over are welcomed to come and celebrate Lake Placid: the Caladium Capital of the World! For such a small town, you never would have guessed that 90% of caladiums are grown and shipped from Lake Placid (I didn’t even know that until this year – and I’m a local!) Besides celebrating at the festival, there will be shuttle buses that can take tours out to the caladium fields themselves, you can meet the families who are the owners and growers, and you can also choose from the variety of caladiums from big to small, from red to white, to speckled and freckled to heavily veined to purchase and take home. But, there’s more than just caladiums to buy. There’s also food trucks, entertainment, and arts and crafts vendors – that’s where yours truly comes in.

 
This is my debut showing at the Caladium Festival and I will be offering fine art prints of my wildlife portfolio. My biggest collection that I while be showcasing is, of course, my Teeth Beneath series from Mote Marine, featuring everyone’s favorite crocodilians: Griff, Terry, Negan, Irwin, and Large Marge. All eight paintings from the series will be available for purchase in the form of fine art prints in a variety of sizes ranging from the smallest of 5” by 7” to the largest, 13” by 19.”


XL

Other works for sale will also include Bonnie and Clyde, my caracara couple, Valentine the raccoon, the Hummingbird Dance, AND what started it all: Save the Bees!



"Bonnie and Clyde" L

And in addition, the three completed Highlands Angels will be there – both the originals as well as their prints. The originals, unfortunately, are not for sale yet seeing that the series is not complete. However, the sketchbooks with the original sketches of the finished and remaining angels will be there for anyone to view and see what is in store for next year. Plus, I will be doing a live drawing session each day, working on my next social commentary piece!


"Miss Muffet" (left), "Brandy Wine" (center), "Symphony" (right) XL




I am still in the process of printing everything – my printer has been going night and day – so I cannot post a picture of all that will be at my tent… so you’ll just have to come by and see!

So, come on down on July 27th – 29th, from 9:00 am to 4:00 on Friday and Saturday, and from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm on Sunday, to booth number 9 located on Interlake Blvd to see your favorite Bee!

Comments

Popular Posts